Friday, January 25, 2013

Last two days of training, Day Off, and my FIRST Day!

Hello Everyone!

It's been a busy four days since I last posted so I'll briefly attempt to fill you in.

     Tuesday was my 3rd day of Resort Bus Greeter Training. We visited the remaining resorts and I got some time in for practice at Disney's All Star Music Resort.  It didn't go so well.  I wasn't as nervous as I was the day before, yet I still felt the knot in my gut.  Luckily for me, Mike my trainer offered me some tips on how to improve and what I could do to ease my fear.  That day we ate at the Cast Cafe at Animal Kingdom again.  I got another massive salad that was well worth my $5.49, but I also grabbed an egg roll and a water.  The day ended without too much more excitement.
   
     Wednesday was my final day of training.  Final day of training meant... Knowledge Assessment and Performance Assessment. >.<  Before I began the Knowledge Assessment, my new trainer for the day, Steve, assured me that it wasn't pass/fail, but rather a learning tool.  I'm glad to say that I only got 8 wrong out of 31, but many of those that were wrong were very tricky.  Finally the time came to get out in the field and perform all the skill that Mike had instilled in me.  As we rode the bus to Disney's All Star Sports Resort, I could feel my heart beating. THUMP  THUMP  THUMP... Well that's the closest I can do to a heartbeat, but you get the picture.  The beginning of my assessment went well.  I was able to check for buses in a timely fashion and ensured that guests were not too delayed.
      It was about halfway through the assessment and these two cute Japanese girls passed.  I mean CUTE. My trainer then called me over and told me, "Hey, you see those Asian girls that passed.  One of them checked you out man."  I laughed and politely disagreed, but I think he only told me that to encourage me to relax.  In perhaps a stroke of luck, they came towards me and motioned like they wanted to ask a question. I wondered what for excitedly... Were they really checking me out???

     NAH! Just kidding.  I never thought that.  They wanted to ask about the different theme parks and the different shopping areas at Walt Disney World.  For the rest of the day, he kept telling me that they did check me out, and I constantly laughed and laughed.  When we got back, I got a certificate that certified that I had the skill necessary to work as a Resort Bus Greeter.
     That night, 4 of us from our room headed to Downtown Disney to have dinner at Planet Hollywood.  I ordered Penne Pasta with Broccoli and Chicken.  It was alright, and not really worth the price.  We all agreed that we probably won't be visiting again in the near future.

     Yesterday was my first day off.  I was so glad that I could sleep in till 930 (I'm used to waking up at 430 to go to work).  My roommate Doug and I decided to hit the parks.  We first went to Magic Kingdom and rode Buzz Lightyear's Space Adventure, Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.  I got this amazingly large Cinnamon Roll from the new Gaston's Tavern in Fantasyland.  From there we went to EPCOT.  We grabbed a FastPass for Test Track and proceeded to travel the world.  We rode the two different rides in Mexico (A Musical Adventure), and Norway (Education about Norway).  We stopped for an extremely LATE lunch in China.  I had a Beef Noodle Soup, and Doug grabbed some Orange Chicken and Rice.  We joked about how we might see our roommate Tom working in EPCOT.  Once we left China, coincidentally we ran into our roommate working. It was quite funny.  We finished out by traveling to Germany then to Italy.  We ended at America and watched The American Adventure.  Finally we returned to TestTrack and rode it then departed for home.
















    Now to today.  It was my first day on the job.  I was out there as a greeter by myself for the first time.  I got stationed at Animal Kingdom Lodge.  The shift started out pretty slow.  Buses came at normal intervals, not too many guests.  Starting at about 830, the buses got a little slower and more and more guests started to show up at the bus stop expecting a bus right there.  There were about four guests or so so were a little agitated that the buses were not arriving as they wished.  I politely informed them of the status, but I was panicking myself because the buses weren't there yet.  I told them ten minutes and sometimes it was fifteen before the bus arrived.  I was stressed out! Finally 1030 came and I could take a break.  It was a welcome relief.  On the bus ride back to EPCOT (where I'm stationed), I chatted with the bus driver.  Driving the bus was a retirement job for him, and he only drove the bus seasonally.  He mentioned how he had come to Hawaii in August and he recommended to try the Aulani Breakfast/Lunch (YES that's a subtle hint for all of you to go and eat at Aulani and support this wonderful company that I work for :) ). The day ended without too much more fanfare and that's where we end today. =)

I'm going to try and end every post with a fun fact from now on.  Hopefully I can continue this.

Did you know? Walt Disney World Resort buses travel more than 21.5 million miles every year.




Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment